Instant Expert
If you could instantly be an expert at anything, what would it be? Take the time to think about it for a moment and let that question simmer a bit. Of course, becoming an expert instantly at anything just does not happen, I’m sure we all wish we could, but I would like to share some perspectives on what it takes for someone to become an expert as I have experienced them in my life. Recently, as I was pondering and researching the answer to this question, I asked those around me what their goals for expertise were, I learned that there are many areas where people aspire to become experts, and they range from a variety of topics, such as cooking, parenting, investing, gardening, math, learning and many more. This question then led me to further explore the different possibilities and this led me to a realization. Check this out, the first five letters of EXPERt are the same five letters found in the word EXPERience. In my mind I correlate the fact that we only get to become an expert through experience, and experience only comes from putting in the time required to learn something well. You can’t just read about cooking and be an expert until you go out and cook, and you are not even an expert after making one meal. Expertise requires doing something over and over again, repetition then leads to clearer understanding, and understanding then leads to expertise. In healthcare there is a common goal we all have, to heal and improve the quality of life of the people that are entrusted in our care. The people you serve depend on your expertise and knowledge to help them through difficult times. Each day you commit to working in healthcare and you do your best, you are gaining the experience that will impact the care provided. It would sure be nice to instantly arrive at expert level, and though we don’t have that “wish come true,” I am happy to know that there are health care heroes like you that put in the time and effort to become an expert in their field each day. Keep putting in the hard work.